A Checklist to Make Moving House Simple and Easy
19th September 2017
Moving house is known to be one of the most stressful events in our lives. There is so much to do and to think about, including all the people you need to inform that you have moved or companies you require to connect up services at your new home.
To make moving less stressful, why not follow our to-do lists.
People to inform you have moved:-
- Banks: it is vital to inform your bank and any credit and store cards of your new address as soon as possible, to ensure bills are sent to the correct address.
- TV licence: If you’ve paid your TV licence annually up front, you just need to change your address with them and the contract will carry on as usual.
- Council Tax: council tax is due from the day you move into your new home so get in touch with your local council to set up a payment plan as soon as possible. Also don’t forget to finalise the council bill for your old home.
- Doctors and Dentists: sign up with a local doctor and dentist surgeries near your new address as soon as possible – you never know when you may need them.
- Post: for a small fee all your mail can be re-directed by the Post office from your old home to your new address.
- Insurance: ensure you have adequate building insurance for your new home from the time you exchange contracts.
- Voting: to ensure you can still vote in national and local elections, register your new address on the Electoral Roll,
Services you need re connecting at your new home
- Internet: we live in an age where living without the internet for even a short time can be challenging. Once you have a date for moving, book a date for installation as soon as possible.
- Notify all utility suppliers e.g. Gas, Electric, Water: your suppliers for these services need to take final meter readings at your old home and then re-connect you at you new home and take initial meter readings before they can set up a new payment plan.
If you are moving and need friendly help and advice, get in touch with one of our teams at Home Estate Agents. . They will answer any questions/ queries, while offering advice on how to make moving less stressful. Contact your local Home Estate Agents office
URMSTON: 01617471177 STRETFORD: 01618713939 MONTON: 01617898383