10 Tips for Choosing an Estate Agent
09th February 2017
You have decided to sell your home but how do you choose the right estate agent? It is worth remembering that the estate agent is working for you so it is important to feel comfortable when dealing with them and are confident in their professional ability.
- Start by making a shortlist of 2 or 3 estate agents and invite them to do a valuation
- Ask family, friends and neighbours for personal recommendations.
- Take note of which estate agents in your area seem to have the most “sold” boards outside properties.
- Check out the window of estate agents and select ones that sell properties similar to yours.
- Find out if they are good at their job
- Check out local estate agents personally by calling in and pretending to be interested in buying a house similar to yours. Were you impressed with how they dealt with you, were they knowledgeable about the property, how did their prices compare with other estate agents, selling similar properties?
- Once you have had a valuation on your property from 2 or 3 estate agents ask them to explain their reasoning for the valuation. Don’t pick an estate agent because they gave you the highest valuation as some agents give deliberately optimistic valuations, to make you think you can get a higher price with them, and then try and talk you down after you have chosen them
- Check the opening hours of the estate agents. Some agents have limited opening hours at weekends
- Other things to consider
- Which internet portals will they use to market your property
- What is included in their fees – be aware that different estate agents have different terms and conditions, and their fees cover different things.
- Check they are members of a professional trade association, such as the National Association of Estate Agents, or the Guild of Professional Estate Agents
- Check they are members of accredited independent ombudsman services.
Choosing the right Estate Agent to sell your property is an incredibly important decision to make. Home Estate Agents have a proven track record and are experts in selling property in your area so book your FREE, NO OBLIGATION valuation from us. For further advice contact your local Home Estate Agents office. URMSTON: 01617471177 STRETFORD: 01618713939 MONTON: 01617898383